Access and Visitation of Parents

As children grow apart both geographically and emotionally, the sibling rivalry can rear its ugly head when a parent(s) is disabled or easily manipulated. For example, Mom is living with her daughter. Mom’s son wants to visit Mom but the daughter refuses to allow entrance and refuses to allow Mom to travel out of the house with son — citing health concerns. What is the son to do? Many times the only solution for son is to involve the courts to have Mom deemed incapacitated and then request that the judge establish a visitation schedule. And yes, it looks a lot like what is done in divorce cases for minor children. Best advice is to stay in good graces with the sibling that Mom ends up putting in charge. Mom should also give much thought to the agent she designates as her proxy for health care decisions.

Bryson Law Firm, P.C., Suwanee, Georgia. Attorney Richard Bryson has over 25 years of experience with investment entities, elder law, estate planning, probate, wills and trusts, tax planning, tax dispute resolution, asset protection, personal injury, business formation and governance, real estate transactions, and Medicaid and VA planning. Contact our Gwinnett County law firm at 404-909-8842 or

Categories: Elder Law